This field development example shows the initial topics that an oil company will consider before reaching an investment decision for developing and oil or gas field.
We assume that an oil company named ELEN is investigating whether or not to develop an offshore gas field in Vietnam.
We go through the following:
- Assessing the volume of oil and gas in the reservoir.
- Choosing a platform type (FPSO, Jacket, TLP, Semi).
- Choosing how to transfer the gas to the shore (built a new pipeline or use an existing pipeline).
- Economic evaluation of top 3 field development options.
- Stakeholder assessment and evaluation.
- Consideration of construction. operation and decommissioning
- Project Economics
1.1. The situation
During the past decade, the energy demand in Vietnam has been rising at rate of 12% per year as a result of the rapid econimic growth. A big challenge for Vietnam is to balance the energy demand in order to sustain the current growth rates. To this end, PetroVietnam (PVN), the national oil company of Vietnam, seeks to recover the deepwater offshore reserves of Vietnam.
Petro Vietnam (PVN) has asked ELEN (fictional name for an international oil company), to participate in the development of Block 21 in the Nam Con Son basin. In this document, we present a plan for developing the Bí ẩN Phía Nam Field, which is located within Block 21.
This report starts with an overview of the objectives, the risks and the opportunities of the proposed Offshore Field Development. Then, it presents the main stakeholders and sets the HSSE framework. Chapter 3 gives an overview of the recoverable hydrocarbons and considers a potential depletion strategy. In chapter 4, various development concepts were consider and assessed.The final field development plan consists of a sub-sea system, an FPSO and a new gas pipeline with a daily gas production of 800 mmscf/d.
- Project Information
- Reservoir and depletion strategy
- Concept Selection
- Field development plan
1.3. List of Abbreviations
- bbl Barrels
- BTU British Thermal Unit
- B&C Bloom & Company
- CAPEX Capital Expenditure
- CIIP Condensate Initially In Place
- EEZ Exclusive economical zone
- DCA Drilling Centre A
- DCB Drilling Centre B
- EVN Vietnam Electricity Authority
- FDTG First Day To Gas
- FPSO Offloading unit
- GBS Floating, Production, Storage and Gravity Base Structure
- GIIP Gas Initially In Place
- GTL Gas To Liquid
- HSSE Health, Safety, Sustainability, Environment
- HVAC Heating, Ventilation, Air Conditioning
- IMR Inspection, Maintenance and Repair
- IRR Internal Rate of Return
- LAT Lowest Astronomical Tide
- LNG Liquefied Natural Gas
- LPG Liquefied Petroleum Gas
- L.Q. Living Quarters
- MODU Mobile Offshore Drilling Unit
- MRI Maintenance Repair and Inspection
- NGO Non‐Governmental Organization
- NPV Net Present Value
- OPEX Operational Expenditure
- ppm parts per million
- psi Pounds per square inch
- PVT Pressure, Volume and Temperature
- PVN PetroVietnam
- ROV Remotely Operated Vehicle
- scf Standard cubic feet
- TECOP Technical, Economical, Commercial, Organizational, Political
- TLP Tension Leg Platform
- VIR Value to Investment Ratio